Ministries of St. Giles Presbyterian Church
In Christianity, ministry is an activity carried out by Christians to express or spread their faith. The Encyclopedia of Christianity defines it as “carrying forth Christ’s mission in the world”.
At St. Giles, our ministries are diverse and far-reaching. We have age-related ministries, which include our Sunday School programs and youth and family programs, specifically LOGOS, which incorporates Christian fellowship for all ages in a family environment. We have Women’s and Men’s Groups, as well as creative ministries which include our Choir and Bell Choir. Our social ministries include all Fellowship Activities, as well as a Book Club and Parish Groups that get together to celebrate social events. Finally, our Outreach Program reaches out to our own community and far beyond – with missions in Jamaica, Cuba and as far away as Australia.
Doing God’s Work in Our Community… and Beyond!
St. Giles is happy to serve our community in many capacities. Our Outreach Program touches a diverse area across the First Coast with food, clothing, holidays drives, school supplies and support for local charities. We also serve missions in Jamaica and provide assistance to programs as far away as Australia.
We are always looking for people who are interested in investing their time and talents to support our community.
The Outreach Committee organizes fundraising activities throughout the year to support the projects listed below. If you have an idea and would like to carryout a fundraiser, we’d love your involvement.
If you’d like to serve on the Outreach Committee or on another one of our projects, please contact the church office at (904) 272-1244.
- Easter and Thanksgiving Baskets – Sponsor baskets with donation; also assist in purchasing food items from list (reimbursed) and packing baskets week before holiday.
- Military Care Packages – A few good men and women (or could be a family activity), needed to pack boxes and take to the Post Office to mail. Postage reimbursed through Good Samaritan Fund. Collection box in church narthex with suggested item list; nice to include fun snack items with toiletries, hard candy, beef jerky, cheese crackers, etc.
- Postal Food Drive – Members of the community donate food. Postal workers pick it up and volunteers from our community churches are needed to sort and distribute the food to the local food banks.
- Christmas in July – Donations to replenish Good Samaritan Fund. Date TBA.
- Good Samaritan Fund – (Supported by congregations’ donations and Good Samaritan Fund.) Assistance to those in need in our community. Always looking for new ideas.
- Back to School Drive – For Clothes Closet, month of July. New children’s sock and underwear needed for boys and girls 3-18 years, multi-packs appreciated.
- School Supplies in July – Collection of School Supplies for children in need.
- “Keep Them Warm” – Fall Clothes Closet Drive, (cold weather items needed) – Blankets, coats, sweaters, and socks collected for one month.
- Angel Tree – Choose a child from the community on our tree during the month before Christmas.
- Clothes Closet – St. Giles members are need to assist at the Clothes Closet on the third Saturday of every month. Additionally, canned and boxed foods are collected the first Sunday of the month in the Church Narthex and are delivered to the Clothes Closet the following day.
- Quigley House – Gently used bras are collected in October for donation to the Quigley House.
Our Music Ministry
If you’d like information about joining our choir, please contact the Church Office at (904) 272-1244. The choir practices on Wednesday nights at 7:00 pm and meets again at 9:30 AM on Sunday mornings before our traditional church service at 10:00 AM. The choir is also active in the children’s music program several times a year, with a special Christmas Cantata every December and a children’s play on Christmas Eve.